Under the Radar Jams

I pride myself on knowing when a song is going to be a hit or not. In my junior year of high school I heard We Fly High (Ballin') by Dipset and knew it would be a hit. Like clockwork the next summer it was everywhere and crowds were showing off their jump-shot to the beat. Similarly when I first heard Whatever You Like by TI I knew it would be all over the radio in mere time. Times have changed in the music landscape with the growth of digital downloads and Twitter. Once a song is released it is everywhere and dance Vines start.


I've complied what are my 10 (in no particular order) under the Radar Jams. These songs may be from an album or mixtape from a popular artist that didn't get much love or it could be a great song from a lesser known artist.

1. Caprice Music- Tum Tum

I remember hearing this song debut as the new song on 106 & Park and never heard much about it again.

2. 1999- 100s

100s may be in my top 5 favorite rappers of all time based on only two albums IVRY and Ice Cold Perm. He has now changed from 100s to Kossisko and has gone from west coast rap to more of an alternative R&B sound. Some may recognize 100s from his song Life of a Mack which was in the newest Grand Theft Auto video game. The song 1999 has multiple 90s references including House Party and Juvenile. It's hard to pick just one 100s song to highlight download his mixtapes here.

3. Little Bit- Drake/Lykke Li

For the last few years Drake has dominated the airwaves as well as pop culture from music to NBA All Star Weekend along with Super Bowl commercials. This track with Lykke Li is a great old song from Drake's So Far Gone mixtape.  Another great old Drake song is I'm Ready For You- Drake/Rita Ora.

4. Oh Yeah- Chris Brown/Snoop Dogg/2 Chainz

I heard this song a little after is came out but it perplexed me that this song didn't become a summer anthem like it could have. Chris Brown kills the hook with features from Snoop and 2 Chainz.

5. Fly Together (Remix)- Red Cafe/Ryan Leslie/Trey Songz/J. Cole/Wale

After seeing Ryan Leslie at the House of Blues at in Houston Texas I became a big fan of Ryan's. Side note: at one point the guitarist's amp blew out and without dropping a beat Ryan Leslie jumped on the keyboard and played the guitar melody on the piano it was pretty impressive. If you're ever want to watch crazy studio work check out some of Ryan Leslie's in studio videos like this video for You Be Killin Em.

6. Look Both Ways- Tim Vocals

I first saw Tim Vocals on Worldstar via a cell phone camera remixing popular songs with his own lyrics. Tim Vocals went from freestyling acapella in apartment lobbies to dropping his own original songs.

7. Call You- Travis Porter/New Boyz

If I were to create a movie about my college experience Travis Porter may have to be the soundtrack. From Make It Rain to Let Me Take You Out and Bring It Back TP were always played at every party. This song featuring the New Boyz is a song that I've gone back an listened to after getting past the singles.

8. I Want- Madeintyo

The bass in this song is crazy... Madeintyo recently dropped his single Uber Everywhere which is solid but I prefer this song I Want.

9. All the Way Turnt Up- Fabolous/Trey Songz

Once you hear this remix of All the Way Turnt Up you will never go back to the original. The juxtaposition of Trey's singing and Fab's bars over the already great beat make this track hot. The mixtape There is No Competition 2 is one of my favorite mixtapes of all time and is a must listen if you haven't already checked it out.

10. All Talk- Bow Wow

Bow Wow low key is a great rapper. He put out a great mixtapes in the Greenlight series.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rise of Future Hendrix

What's better I Need a Girl Part 1 or Part 2?

Drake's Hidden Gems