A Look Back at a CD I Made in High School

Earlier today I found a CD that wasn't labeled so I decided to see what music I put on this CD. I had no idea what I was about to hear... The juxtaposition from this collection of songs on the CD gave me a plethora of memories.

My guess is I made this CD was made around 10 years ago probably in 2009-2007. Back in high school I made mix CDs once a week or so. This was before streaming options were available and my iPod could only hold 100 songs.

(I was feeling cool in AP statistics class. Yes, that's a Public Enemy poster in the classroom.)

When this CD was made I was:

-16-17
-Played a ton of FIFA
-Drove a green 1996 Jetta
-My favorite rapper was Lil Wayne or Jay Z
-Crunk Juice was my favorite album at the time
-Lived by the motto any pizza can be a personal pizza if you're hungry enough


Track 1- Why You Wanna- TI

I totally forgot about this song until it came on. This was a single from TI and is a great song to play in the summertime.

Track 2- When I Pull Up at the Club- Three 6 Magic feat. Paul Wall

Once I figured out when I made this CD I knew there would be some songs from Three 6 Mafia. This track wasn't one of the group's most popular songs but the drums/piano and horns make a fly beat plus you get a verse from Paul Wall.

Track 3- Chevy Ridin' High- Dre feat. Rick Ross

I had to look up who the other guy on this song was and I think this was the only song I had by Dre. This song will make me you want to race even if you were in a 1996 Jetta.

Track 4- Number One- Pharrell feat. Kanye West

HS Matt gave me another song that I haven't heard in a while. The smooth Pharell beat along with a young Kanye is a fun throwback.

Track 5- Pop (Cover)- John Mayer

This one song won the award for most random and confusing pick. The song is preformed live and John Mayer talks for about 2 minutes before he goes into his cover of NYSNC's Gone. I've always been a John Mayer fan and I must've felt like a break from all the ultra aggressive hip hop.

Track 6- Chunk Up the Duece- Lil Keke/Paul Wall/Bun B/Pimp C

During high school my favorite hip hop mainly consisted of Lil Wayne/Three 6 Mafia/Lil Jon/Houston Rap. This song has a very basic beat with just a few piano keys and some drums. The song is about giving the peace sign in the air to people driving next to you.


Track 7- Bumpin My Music Remix- Ray Cash/TI/Pimp C/Young Dro/Project Pat

Another song that I haven't listened to in years but instantly gave me memories.

Track 8- Tell me When to Go- E-40 feat. Keak da Sneak

A great dance song that introduced me to ghost riding a car. Which is putting your car in cruise control at 2 MPH then everyone gets out of the car and dances around the vehicle.

Track 9- Welcome 2 Da Backwudz- Da BackWudz

The group name my look familiar to you because they had a big hit with a song called I Don't Like the Look of it. This song is much better with a beautiful collection of horns and drums.

Track 10- Go to Church- Ice Cube & Snoop Dogg

Like I stated previously I was a big fan of Lil Jon in HS and that's how I heard this song.

Track 11- Hustlin' Remix- Rick Ross/Jay Z

A solid verse from HOV on my favorite Rick Ross song.

Track 12- Waiting on the World to Change- John Mayer

Another song that doesn't match the rest but still a great song from John Mayer.

Track 13- Mr Postman- Juelz Santana

Juelz Santana is one of my favorite rappers and I'm still holding out hope for the joint mixtape with Lil Wayne.

Track 14- I Wear My Stunna Glasses at Night- Federation feat. E-40

I remember finding out about Federation from watching 106 & Park. This song is a cool remix of the old 80s I Wear My Sunglasses at Night.


Track 15- China Grove- The Doobie Brothers

After listening to numerous high energy rap songs and a pair of John Mayer songs I reached the last track of this CD. While this is a classic and great song it was another interesting pick for this CD.


Thank you for reading! If you have any thoughts or suggestions let me know

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rise of Future Hendrix

What's better I Need a Girl Part 1 or Part 2?

Drake's Hidden Gems