The Keys to a Great Draft Walkup Song/My Walkup Song Choice



The 2015 NBA Draft Stage

Tonight is the 2016 NBA Draft and for the top prospects invited to attend the draft live they must choose what music is played when they're drafted. Other then deciding what fancy outfit to wear your music choice is an extremely important decision. These songs have gotten so popular that Drake has a song about this topic.

In the 2016 NFL Draft we saw a wide range of music choices from classic rock to Future/Young Thug and country music.

Walkup Song Key Factors 

Songs Message/Tone

The song needs to match what type of player you are/aspire to be. Are you a monster on the boards or a smooth guard?

Artist Background

Where is the artist from? Is he/she from your hometown?

Is the Song Somewhat Family Appropriate?

You may be an adult but the song needs to contain subject matter that won't make it too awkward when you shake the commissioner's hand on national TV.

Originality/Cliche Factor 

While Started From the Bottom by Drake may perfectly describe your draft journey it's cool to be original/subtle.

My (Hypothetical) Draft Walkup Song

Just a reminder to all of the NBA teams tonight, yes I am eligible to be drafted. If you're looking for a 6'2" power forward who once had a double double in a fraternity intramural game I'm your guy. After a long day of thought my walkup song would be...

Let's Go Crazy- Prince


I was torn in making this important hypothetical decision. Part of me wanted to go with a song like "Neva Eva"- Trillvile but it wouldn't be the most professional choice and is a little too wild. Then I started thinking of various songs like "Raise Up"- Petey Pablo or "Watch Out for This"- Major Lazer or "I'm Raw"- Fabolous but none felt quite right. The all day scrolling through my iTunes was found to be meaningless after I realized it was an extremely simple choice after I re-read my own key factors. The song I must choose had to be Let's Go Crazy by Prince. It's a classic song/Prince is Minnesotan/it's family friendly/it's an original choice. I would also have to wear an all purple suit to the draft.

Side note: There is an NBA prospect who may be drafted tonight named Thomas Walkup from Texas-SFA. You may remeber his team the SFA Lumberjacks were a great story during March Madness.




What would your draft walkup song be?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rise of Future Hendrix

What's better I Need a Girl Part 1 or Part 2?

Drake's Hidden Gems